Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Travian

It is not just a massive time suck. :-)

Hubby and I have been playing on Travian Server 6 US since last April. We have made lots of friends online and hope to meet many of you in RL some day. He has open invites for a place to stay if we ever visit Turkey or Alaska, Australia too I think.

We are in end game and things are ramping up there just as things in real life are ramping up in with our IVF.

The game has taken second fiddle to making the IVF work and rightly so.

That said, hubby's account is a main player in end game right now (if you remember my Valentine's day post) and having to step back meant letting a lot of people down. He found someone to take over his account so he could take care of me during this time and posted the following to all of our Meta wings:

*****************************
This letter is hard to write, but write it I must. I hope you take the time to read it.

My wife and I have been trying for several years to have children. So far, we have not been successful. It is finally time for science to play a part, and so we've been getting ready to try IVF. For those of you who don't know what that is, Google can provide your answers. But what it means to me, and to us, is this: I cannot continue to devote the amount of time to the WW that I have been. I desperately wanted to see this through to the end, but the doctors have said that this is the month, and when I'm asked to make a decision between Travian and having children, the choice is clear and obvious, despite my sense of letting people down. So, I have arranged to transfer much of the work to willing and able people who have stepped up to help. I know that some people will be sorry to see me go, but I'm sure that plenty of others are excited to hear the news.

Under my care, this account is the top defender on the game. This may very well change as the WWs progress and the really big hammers come out, but perhaps they'll continue to come to me and we'll just keep going up. KGB certainly has a special place in their heart for me. I'm glad I could provide so much entertainment for them, and for you. As I've said before, I'm a complete noob, as this is my first and only server. Everything I have accomplished has been only through the grace of teammates such as you.

So what happens now? Nothing I hope. This WW will continue to grow, and continue to be attacked, and the people who are helping me are certainly not going to let it languish. They need all your help, just as I have needed it. I'll still be checking in and answering IGMs, as I have always done, but the day to day management of the wonder will fall on their shoulders now. They have given up their accounts, or deleted them to be able to do this, so their sacrifice is even greater than mine. I hope you show them the warmth and camaraderie that you have shown me. They deserve it.

Meanwhile, I hope you send good thoughts to me and Jenn as we try this last option. Send an IGM with the subject of "Personal" and the sitters will not read it. I will do my best to respond to every one. It is truly wonderful to play with this group of people, and it has always been my honor to be affiliated with you. In these last few weeks of this server, this group can do anything it wants to. I hope you choose to try and win. I know that I will be.

Oh, and by the way, send wheat.

Thanks.

Ken, aka Slugbo
*****************************

The outpouring of good wishes from all of our friends on Travian was just amazing. Slug's and my IGM Inbox were overwhelmed with all the kind words and well wishes and suggestions from others going through it at the same time and those that have gone through IVF.

People far and wide, across many continents and cultures, sent such nice things, and we wanted to let you know that it means so much to Ken and I to know that all of you are hoping this works out for us. (PLEASE let it work - else I have to tell a global community that it didn't ;-) )

We even heard from some of the nicer KGB folks who offered their well wishes for us too.

So please consider this post a thank you to all of those of you that offered your kind words and well wishes and shared your own experiences with IVF with us.

It means more than we can ever quantify here.

You really are a great bunch of people and Ken and I are proud to be a part of Server 6 US.

Regards,
Tiny Tyrant - plan holder for the Fixer Upper WW

PS Comments will be moderated on this post due to a certain forum posting troll that made a mockery of what we are going through last week on the public travian forums.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn- You have been a huge help to RIV and then 6U. Your staunch support of Slugbo has truly been insipring, as with all you have going on in life you still get fired up ingame to rally defense and support for "your man". I very much wish you the best of luck in building your own little World Wonder ;)

- Dev

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds like an amazing man as a read through all your blogs and I am so happy you have such a supportive husband during this time. I really really hope IVF works for you!

On a completely random note...where can I go online that shows the best knitting videos? I'm working on my scarf and am almost out of my first roll( i don't know the knitting term) and don't know how to add the second...

Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiny,
This is ttccs. I wanted to drop by and say you and your hubby are awesome and I am so glad to have gotten to know you in game. I have had 3 miscarriages and am now going threw testing to try to find out why this is happening to me. I truly pray IVF works for you and I know hw you feel during this time. My prayers are with you. It is truly funny how I got into Travian. A friend told me about the game and it was recommended to take my mind off of my troubles in life. During server 6 KGB has tried to slander me but that is ok since it is just a game and was meant for rehabilitation. The best of luck to you and Ken. My prayers are with you.

ttccs

Anonymous said...

This was a great post Jenn. I am so happy for the two of you and I hope all goes well! It's amazing how much love and support we get from our online friends - people we have never talked to or met in real life! Your Travian group sounds like a great bunch of people.

(((HUGS)))