Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The End of an Era

Yesterday was a day of goodbye at my house.

No, not to a pet, or a family member or a friend, but to an object I'd had for 10 and a half years.

My beloved Explorer, the one that almost got killed in the accident in October, found a new home.

See 'the Tank' was a him, because he was mine from day one. I picked him out, I bought him. I told hubby number one, he was coming home with us regardless of his opinion of him. He was for me and my dogs and the kids I'd hoped to have.

The Tank has protected me well over the years. There have been a few accidents. You drive the same car for 10 years and that is hard to avoid. But he always came through. Till the last one. It almost did him in. It didn't kill him, but it did enough damage that I had to salvage him.

We did an owner retain. Parked him and waited. You see The Tank was the one thing, besides my Cliffy Mutt, that I got out of my divorce. The one thing that was truly mine. I fought to keep him and I won. I wasn't ready to let him go. I guess I'm still not, not really.

But he was taking up space. And we weren't going to be able to pay the money to fix him and I couldn't bear to part him out. So we listed him and found someone that could fix him. Someone that could repair the damage that ding bat that thought waving at her friend was more important then watching the road did to him and me.

I'm still healing from the accident. PT, back is still jacked up, but I'm getting better.

And The Tank will too. More importantly when he's back to his old self, he'll have a family with a couple of kids to drive around and protect. I hope they take as good care of him as I tried to.

I know he's just a car, but he was mine and I adored him. He and I went on many an adventure over the years.

Albuquerque and back. We made the trip back in 21 hours straight through. Many times to Tucson. A round trip to Tucson and Albuquerque and home through a blizzard. The beach many times with the mutt crew.

He NEVER left me at the side of the road. The last accident doesn't count since it wasn't our fault it happened (yes that is no longer in doubt). He has many more years in him. I hope to see him on the road again some day.

8 comments:

On a limb with Claudia said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I can only trust that you'll find other ways to get around now

Ruprecht said...

Bye, Tank.

Rupe didn't know you ... but you sound like you were a good egg.

Romi said...

Aw, Jenn. I'm so sorry. Feel better soon.

Becster said...

Aww, that's sad. Cars are our trusted friends. *hugs*

Susan aka Chicken Mama said...

How sad to say goodbye to your big boy. The end of an era.

On another note, how are you doing with your big bonk? I have done that a couple of times and it takes a little while to recover. Take is slow...

XOXOXO

AlisonH said...

Heal well!

And yes, I still occasionally do a double-take when I see a car like my old Honda Accord on the road, wondering if someone fixed it up after a speeder smashed into me and it.

Julie Hoover said...

ah..thats so sweet. I am sure I'll feel the same way about mine some day...10 years of very loyal service...

karin said...

Bye Tank! You were a lovely car, even if I only got to see you once in the pouring rain. :(